Curricula and Materials
Click Here to Like Us on Facebook
Action Civics Curricula and Materials
- Issues to Action Curriculum ($100): Our six step process for youth activism asks students to examine their communities, identify issues of importance to them, conduct intensive primary research about these issues, analyze power, develop strategies, and take action to impact policy - while reflecting on the process throughout. It can be implemented in a variety of classes or as an after school club. Click below to see the table of contents. ITA_TABLE_OF_CONTENTS.pdf (39 KB)
- Issues to Action Student Workbook ($15 each): Each 100 pg. workbook includes a complete set of all student handouts/worksheets included in the ITA curriculum and can especially be a great solution for teachers with photocopying troubles. Workbooks are only printed on demand, with a turnaround time of approximately two weeks.
- Student Voice Committee Curriculum ($100): A curriculum designed for school staff to facilitate a youth advisory group that collaborates with school administrators to improve school culture and school based issues.
- Democracy in Action Curriculum ($250): DIA is a comprehensive civics course curriculum, pieces of which can easily be implemented in a wide variety of social studies classes. It is developed around the same six step framework as Issues to Action but supplemented with additional units about how government works, analyzing the media, electoral politics and more. Each unit is aligned with ISBE and ACT College Readiness Standards. Click here to see sample lessons from this curriculum, or below to see the table of contents. DIA_TABLE_OF_CONTENTS.pdf (121 KB)
- Your Social Life DVD and Discussion Guide (see below for pricelist): The Mikva Youth-Created film "Your Social Life" addresses the issue of cyberbullying from a young person's perspective. Through interviews with cyberbullies, targets, accessories, adult allies, and passive onlookers, the film presents a holistic view of the growing cyberbulling epidemic. It offers insights about the true consequences of digital abuse. Through entertaining dramatizations, "Your Social Life" engages audiences and opens the door for important discussions about issues ranging from burn pages to sexting. This film is a must-see for students, parents, teachers, school administrators, and all members of the digital community. This video was produced in partnership with Beyondmedia Education. Click here to view the trailer or below to purchase the video in its entirety.
In addition to these complete curricula, please check our Resources page for a growing collection of extra lessons, readings, etc. that can be used on their own or to supplement these materials.
For more information about either of these curricula, ideas for how they can be used in different classes, or how to order copies of either, email email@example.com.